The shower. It sits in your bathroom as a prime asset. It is large and useful. It can help you flex your vocal chords whilst in it, it can alleviate pain and sore areas in your back. It is a dedicated clean space. So why do so many of us hate cleaning it and why is it SO difficult to keep the soap scum at bay?
At the end of the day humans are rather dirty creatures and to keep clean and healthy we require bathing regularly. The shower provides a good space to do this but unless it too is kept clean then it is all rather pointless.
Do any search on the wide world of the internet and there are many tips that you can stumble across to make shower cleaning easier and in some cases they even promote an end to cleaning all together. There are many chemical solutions available that purport to eliminate scum and grease from your showers. If you are more ecologically bent then there are a number of ways that you can clean your shower all in keeping with the clean/green theme.
What are some of the more popular ways to clean your shower?
- Cover your shower heat with a plastic bag full of vinegar and secure it with a rubber band or hair tie. The vinegar must surround the head. If you leave it there overnight, when you take it off the next morning you’ll find that you have a clean shower head with no real work!
- If you have the right tools in your shower then it is easy to keep the glass clean. As long as you remember! Keep an inexpensive squeegee in the shower and after you finish showering use it to wipe down the walls and glass. It must be done every time you shower but it will dramatically reduce the amount of scum you find building up on the glass.
- You can keep a spray bottle of vinegar and water in the shower and spray all over once you’ve finished. This too will keep soap scum at bay – just don’t use vinegar on stone showers as it can eat away at it.
- If you’re into eco-friendly options for cleaning you could try this lovely smelling home remedy for sparkly clean showers
Lemon Lavender Disinfectant
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup vodka (excellent germ-killing properties)
10 drops lavender essential oil
10 drops lemon essential oil
1 1/2 cups water (distilled or boiled and cooled)
Pour all ingredients into a clean spray bottle. (These can be purchased at the local $2 type store). A funnel makes this process easier.
Spray around your shower liberally and let it sit for at least 10 minutes.
Wipe clean using a microfiber cloth
- If mould and mildew are present and you want to use a home remedy to keep with your eco-friendly values then this recipe is a winner:
Peppermint and Tea Tree Mould and Mildew Remover
1 cup water
1/2 cup hydrogen peroxide
10 drops tea tree essential oil
10 drops peppermint essential oil
Mix and store in a dark container. Spray liberally on mould/mildew, let sit for 1-2 hours, rinse. Repeat if necessary.
- If Lemon is a preferred smell in your home then another recommended solution is to cut a lemon in half. Dip one half in baking soda, then rub on the glass door. Once the glass is clean you could rub it all over with a small amount of Lemon oil. The oil repels the water and the soap wont dry onto the glass.
All these solutions – and many others that come recommended – do work. But they require consistent use and at regular intervals. What if you just don’t have the time to have a shower cleaning program? Well you can get Shower Glass protection applied to your shower. This will cut down the soap scum build up. It is not a 100% solution to never having to clean again but most now come with a 90% claim – that in itself could save you up to 50 hours of shower cleaning a year!
How does it work? The latest glass protection products repel hard water, oil, soap scum and grime to keep the glass cleaner for longer between cleans and they work on all indoor and outdoor glass surfaces, including shower doors, mirrors, windows, doors, railings and back splashes. So if you dream of walking into your bathroom and having a sparkling clean shower without lots of effort consider getting glass protection – it will save you time and give you a calm sense of clean.